The Biden administration is considering resuming the construction of the southern border wall in an attempt to fill in the “gaps,” reports the Washington Times.
During a conversation last week with Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said that he may restart construction on the wall to fill “gaps.”
According to the meeting notes reviewed by The Washington Times, Customs and Border Protection have submitted plans on what it wants to see happen moving forward.
“It’s not a single answer to a single question. There are different projects that the chief of the Border Patrol has presented and the acting commissioner of CBP presented to me,” said Mayorkas. “The president has communicated quite clearly his decision that the emergency that triggered the devotion of DOD funds to the construction of the border wall is ended. But that leaves room to make decisions as the administration, as part of the administration, in particular areas of the wall that need renovation, particular projects that need to be finished.”
According to Mayorkas, the areas he wishes to finish include “gaps,” “gates,” and areas “where the wall has been completed but the technology has not been implemented.”
Former President Donald Trump praised the possible decision by the Biden administration during an interview on Newsmax on Tuesday.
“I think it’s great that they reversed themselves, but a lot of damage was done because we were gonna have that wall almost complete. You know, it delayed two and a half years because of lawsuits,” said Trump. “We started building it and we were almost finished and then they called an end to it. And it’s, you know, just incredible. But if they agree that they’re going to complete it — there’s very little to complete. If they agree that they’re going to complete it, that’s a great thing. That’s a very positive step.”
“Wall construction remains paused to the extent permitted by law, so some has already been funded through congressional authorization,“ said White House press secretary Jen Psaki. “When the administration took office funds had been diverted from congressionally appropriated military construction projects and other appropriated purposes toward building the wall. Federal agencies are continuing to review wall contracts and develop a plan to submit to the president soon. It is paused. There is some limited construction that has been funded and allocated for but it is otherwise paused.”