Israel has approved a cease-fire with Hamas after nearly 11 days of exchanging fire.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office told Israeli newspaper Haaretz that both sides have accepted a “mutual cease-fire” without preconditions.
Hamas confirmed the news in a statement to Fox News.
“We were informed by our brothers in Egypt that an agreement had been reached for a mutual and simultaneous ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, starting at 2 a.m. on Friday, May 21, 2021,” said the statement. “And that the Palestinian resistance will abide by this agreement as long as the occupation is committed.”
The Israelis have not stated a specific time to end the cease-fire.
Many world leaders have asked for peace in the region including the United Nations. Egypt helped both sides reach a deal.
The White House has pressured Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to tone down its attacks despite affirming support for Israel’s right to defend itself.
The conflict has resulted in the slaying of at least 12 Israelis and 230 Palestinians. The conflict has lead to widespread protests across the world.
This story is developing. More will be added as details become available.